Internship: Worcester County Conservation District, Holden, MA (temporary, part-time, Summer 2019)
Worcester County Conservation District is a quasi-governmental agency governed by a volunteer board of Supervisors. WCCD works to encourage the conservation and sustainable use of natural resources through educational, financial, and technical assistance. We are seeking a part-time intern to begin Summer 2019.
Responsibilities will include:
- Assisting WCCD Soil Conservationist and/or Administrator with collection of soil samples.
- Preparing soil samples to be mailed to UMass Soil and Plant Nutrient Testing Lab.
- Representing WCCD at Farmers’ Markets and other outreach events. Promoting soil sampling service and WCCD and partner workshops, and lectures.
- Administering surveys, taking pictures at events, creating social media content as needed.
- Assisting with workshop development and execution, as needed.
- Supporting Soil Conservationist and Administrator to maintain productive working environment.
What WCCD is looking for in qualified candidates:
- Current enrollment in Agriculture related degree program, Natural Resource Conservation, Environmental Science, or Biology.
- Enthusiasm about soil health, gardening, agriculture on all scales, local conservation, and land stewardship. Experience in any of these is a plus, but not required.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office software.
- Excellent communication skills, both written and verbal.
- Weekday availability during WCCD normal business hours (M-Th 9a-5p). Occasional weekend and evening availability a plus.
- Comfort with working outside and getting your hands dirty.
- Reliable transportation required, access to a vehicle a necessity. Mileage will be reimbursed at a rate of $0.50/mile.
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team.
Hands-on training for field work will be provided as needed.
Students will be compensated at a rate of $12/hr. for a maximum of 150 hours. Internships will run from May-August 2019 and weekly schedules can be flexible depending on the availability of the students. There is a possibility this internship could continue into the fall semester, depending on interest and availability of intern, as well as availability of funds.
Interested applicants should submit a resume, and cover letter, please include “internship resume” in subject line to: Lisa.firstname.lastname@example.org